Advanced Pilot Programs - Cliff Notes for Wake Turbulence and Wing Tip Vortices
Last Updated: March 14th 2006
- Avoid region within 100 feet of the vortex core.
- The most intense vortices occur following an airliner in the clean (gear, slats
and flaps up) configuration.
- Fly one dot below the glide slope (higher approach) if following a “heavy”
on the ILS.
- Land further down the runway from where the previous “heavy” airliner
- Plan your takeoff at a point before the previous “heavy” departed.
- On a “missed approach”, fly at best angle of climb to avoid vortices of a
previous “heavy” airliner that also missed on the approach.
NOT TO BE USED IN REAL WORLD
FLIGHT. NO PARTS OF THIS ARTICLE MAY BE REPRINTED WITHOUT THE
WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR.